At Birmingham Academy Pte. Ltd., we regard students’ development, wellness and satisfaction to be of utmost importance. As such, we have a comprehensive Student Support Services that we hope to meets the needs of its students so as to create an environment conducive for students to focus on their academic studies.
Instantaneous Student Support Services
i. Medical insurance
Medical Insurance coverage for hospitalisation and related medical treatment for the entire course duration. Students will be given a copy of the medical insurance policy stating clearly the policy’s terms and conditions, the claim procedure, any exclusion, etc.
Birmingham provides a group medical insurance that provides a minimum features / coverage for medical insurance, for example:
– Annual limit not less than S$20,000.00 per student;
– At least B2 ward (in government and restructured hospitals); and
– 24 hours coverage in Singapore and overseas (if student is involved in school-related activities)
ii. Orientation Programme
For all newly-enrolled students to:
– Disseminate and reiterate important course information and other information.
– Inform students of their rights (this shall include internal and external grievance and dispute resolution procedures, fee protection scheme, reference to CPE’s official website);
– Inform students of course deferment/extension criteria and procedures, suspension and expulsion conditions; and
– Give details of the organization awarding the certificate (if applicable).
Other student support services
– Assistance to international students to help them to adapt to the local environment or seek other support services. For example, general or specialist health services (physiological, dental, mental), drug/alcohol abuse education, problem gambling, sexuality education etc;
– Advice on accommodation options for international students;
– Close collaboration with guardians for students not exceeding 18 years of age; and
– Career advice to assist students to proceed to higher education.
Parent/ guardian Collaboration programme
– Close collaboration with guardians / parents for students not exceeding 18 years of age.
– For the students age 18 years and under, school will arrange communication sessions for guardians /parents through face to face meetings, telephone, reports or / and email to give regular feedback on the progress of the student.
– Student’s progress report will be also given to parents / guardians.
Programmes to Enrich the Students’ Educational Experience
Programmes to enrich the students’ educational experiences and develop them holistically so that they become socially responsible people maybe held.
i. Student Development Programme: The school may organise student development course to help student acquire personal development and life skills .The courses may come inform of internal & external seminar, materials, speaks and trainers.
ii. Career Advice: The school provides career advice to students who wish to pursue further education or seek employment in Singapore after Course.
iii. Others Programmes: Like community involvement programmes and leadership programmes, etc may also be organized.
Facilities to Enrich the Students’ Educational Experience
Facilities to enrich the students’ educational experiences and develop them holistically so that they become socially responsible people.
i. Study areas
iii. Counselling Area
iv. Resource Centre with Computers
v. Wireless Internet connection
vi. Financial assistance
vii. Assistance to disadvantage students (e.g. those with physical and/or learning disabilities)
viii. Academic assistance to students (e.g. language programmes, extra classes)
Pre- Course Counselling & other Counselling Services
i. Students will be briefed on a pre course check list which all the information about the school, medical insurance, course details, admission requirements, student contract, FPS, critical course information, etc. If the student is not satisfied with the pre-course counselling & counselling services, student can report any issue to Manager (Student Services).
ii. Students who require assistance can approach the school for guidance. Depending on the issue brought up, the school will refer to the appropriate personal internally. The student will also be referenced to external assistance where necessary.
Continual Improvements & Reviewing the evaluation of student support services
Support services of the students are regularly reviewing through student and staff feedback, survey, student orientation, etc; in order to provide efficiently and adequate student services to ensure high standards of service.
Placed to Ping Yi Secondary School, Secondary 1 : “I am a student of Birmingham Academy. My name is Huang Hanyu. I am so proud to be a student of this school. The class is small so the teacher can pay attention to every student, and the principal is very kind and friendly. Both of my Maths and English teachers are earnest, they tried their best to help all of us pass the AEIS exam.”
Placed to Pasir Ris Secondary School, Secondary 2 Express: “My name is Sun Xiaoqing, I passed the AEIS examination with the help of Birmingham’s teachers. My English teacher helped me to improve my weakness so that I progressed a lot. My maths teacher taught me how to solve the questions easily and quickly. I appreciate their effort and I am very thankful to this school.”
Placed to Meridian Secondary School, Secondary 2 Express: “I’m Shi Kexin. I would like to thank my teachers and principal as I pass the exam in short time. I was so shocked when I heard that I can get into government school. I love Birmingham Academy because they help me make a great progress.”
Placed to North Spring Primary School, Primary 2: “I am Ke Mingzhe, I want to thank Birmingham Academy teachers to help me pass AEIS.”
Placed to Bendemeer Primary School, Primary 3: “My name is Rezzane. Thank you for helping me pass the AEIS examination and I am very happy I can go to Primary 3.”
Placed to Guangyang Secondary School, Secondary 2 Express: “I am writing to Birmingham to express my thanks for the help in learning English and speaking English. During these months in the school, I have learnt much and it is very helpful to me. I passed my s-AEIS examination.”
Placed to East View Secondary School, Secondary 2 Express: “I’d like to take the opportunity to express my great appreciation for Birmingham’s timely help and assistance. I was so excited that I finally pass the s-AEIS examination. Every teachers and Principal, please accept my tanks, now and always.”
When I first came to Birmingham Academy, I do not have a great impression as the academy wasn’t very big. I was thinking of transferring school but decided to try for a week. It was amazing. The lecturers are very professional and experience. I learnt a lot from them. The student welfare was delighted and it makes me really at ease in a foreign country. What surprise me is that when I try to check the value of the Diploma awarded by Birmingham Academy by applying for a job, I was shortlisted for the job. I’m happy I got a proper and recognised academy to study. I will be more than willing to recommend an international student to study here.